Data STARS Grants: Data Stories of Translational Advances in Research for Society
Request for Proposals: The Lucy Family Institute welcomes researchers to propose initiatives that align with the 2023-2024 Lucy Annual Theme, “Data Stories of Translational Advances in Research for Society (Data STARS).” Data STARS grants are intended to promote capacity building and provide a catalyst for translational, data-driven research that aims to address society’s wicked problems.
Deadline: Proposals are evaluated quarterly and are due on the following dates in 2024: March 1, May 31, and Aug 16. A new theme will be announced in Oct 2024.
Awards will be issued within 2-3 weeks following each deadline and are subject to the availability of funds. For event sponsorship requests, submissions must be received and evaluated before the event takes place.
Proposers may request up to $1,500 towards covering the costs of the following activities:
- Interdisciplinary convening events, particularly those that bring academics together with policymakers or private sector leaders
- On-campus workshops or conferences
- Other transdisciplinary endeavors at the intersection of data science and society
Proposed activities must be aligned with Lucy’s 2023-2024 Annual Theme: Data STARS.
Notre Dame faculty, staff, and graduate students are eligible to apply.
Please upload the following information to the proposal submission form.
- General Information: Proposing team, including name(s), title, department and/or affiliation(s).
- Request Description:
- Title and a short description of the proposed initiative. Feel free to include the names of others on the organizing committee, if applicable.
- What are the goals of your proposed initiative? How is this initiative aligned with Data STARS?
- Who is the intended audience? How will participants be recruited?
- How can the Lucy Family Institute collaborate or contribute to this initiative?
- If applicable: Event logistics including the date, time, and location.
- Project Timeline and Milestones.
- Budget. Please provide your full budget and the names of any co-sponsors. Clearly indicate the line items for which you are requesting funds from the Lucy Family Institute.
Selection and Award Processes
Applications will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Alignment with the Lucy Mission, Vision, and Annual Theme.
- Inclusion of expertise and/or participation from more than one discipline.
- Capacity to inspire action across the University and/or outside the campus community.
- Faculty and staff project leads must be Lucy Affiliates or become affiliates upon acceptance of award.
- Acknowledgment of support in advertising materials and/or reports.
- If applicable, please provide event information at least 2 weeks in advance to be included in the Lucy newsletter, “This Week in Lucy (TWIL).”
- Submission of a short description of the initiative’s outcomes. Photos are welcome.
Please direct any questions to the Lucy Assistant Director of Research Programs, Dr. Katie Liu (email@example.com).