The SEEDS program offers:
- A three-week immersion program for local high-school students, especially those from under- resourced schools and communities, to learn about data science and to apply skills through hands-on project-based learning tied to their experiences and interests;
- A summer internship for undergraduate students in data-science related disciplines to teach and mentor high-school students. In the first part of the internship program, students will receive training on data analytics and visualization, project-based learning, and working with minors. In the second part of the program, students will lead workshops in data science and visualization, data ethics, data analytics, and coding to high-school mentees.
Participating in the SEEDS internship is a great way to foster early community engagement in data science, an increasingly important subject for citizen education, and to prepare students for the future job market. It is also a great way for undergraduate students to develop skills in teaching, mentorship, and leadership.
- Must be currently enrolled at Notre Dame or St. Mary’s as an undergraduate student in a data-science related discipline
- Passionate to make an impact through education and community engagement
- 8 weeks of internship opportunity to work with faculty, researchers and high-school students
- On-campus housing
- Stipend ($8000/student): $4500 towards research efforts, $3500 to offset costs of housing and food.
- Opportunities to receive training on data science, teaching and mentoring
Please direct inquiries to Sugana Chawla, Education and Outreach Program Manager at the Lucy Family Institute for Data and Society (firstname.lastname@example.org).